START Support Specialist
Elmira, NY 14901
The START Direct Support Professional provides supports to individuals in own home (or Resource Center) in accordance with
individual interests/personal goals, and consistent with the individual`s START Plan
Bachelor`s Degree in Psychology, Social Work or other Human Service related field, and a minimum of 2 years`
experience working with individual with I/DD and behavioral health needs, or, Associate`s Degree in Psychology, Social
Work or other Human Services field, and 4 years` experience working with individuals with I/DD and behavioral health
Excellent reading and writing skills needed to effectively complete START documentation requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists guest to achieve personal goals; work on behalf of guests to overcome barriers which impact the persons`
ability to with community inclusion; respect guests` personal beliefs, choice, and interests;
2. Provide training and assistance to participants in all facets of daily living (e.G. Eating, bathing, grooming, dressing,
3. Assist individuals to develop skills and achieve personal goals, as defined by the individual`s plan of support. The plan
of support is developed respective of individual`s interests, personal beliefs, choices, and needs.
4. Provide appropriate care and assistance to promote good health and to support individuals to receive appropriate
medical care, as needed.
5. Acts as an advocate on behalf of individuals supported, promoting community inclusion and acceptance.
6. Acts as a role model and mentor, demonstrating socially acceptable (desired) behaviors and coaching individuals
supported to demonstrate same.
7. Attains and maintains required certification(s), including but not limited to: START module, Medication Administration
Approved Personnel status, First Aid/CPR.
8. Completes required initial and update trainings as determined by START and Chemung ARC.
9. Completes all required documentation in a timely and professional manner.
10. Maintains and adheres to ethics of confidentiality, START and Chemung ARC policies and procedures.
11. Performs other duties as assigned by the WFL START Resource Center Director.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. Must be able to tolerate the stresses associated with multiple, simultaneous demands
2. Regularly required to talk, hear, stand, sit, walk and frequently required to use hand and fingers
3. Required to travel (75%)
4. Safely operate a motor vehicle and be able to obtain a license therefore
5. Lifting: May occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds